Tuesday 12 August 2014

2mm cold war Russians

Here's the start of my 2mm cold war Russian forces. I painted them a dark green and then drybrushed it. I tried to paint the base a neutral colour so that they would look ok in the widest possible range of environments from green fields to desert, jungle, urban and wherever else a soviet invasion might be fun. A bit of a tall order but of the colours I tried this was the best for contrast and fitting in with the scenery tiles I have made so far.

Everything is based on 1p pieces which are just over 20mm wide. I forgot to put the dice in for scale this time.


BMP with commanders stopped to check their maps. The HQ (IK4) has four men seated with a map. It's an interesting miniature that I'm sure to find lots of uses for but I think I'll find a different way to indicate a command base. Perhaps just a flag and a single vehicle.

The BTR APC looks like it's a BTR-70 but could stand in for any of the BTR series making it useful from the 60's to the present day.


T54/55/60 tanks. I had a go at giving them a red blob to represent a star on the sides. If you're trying out a little bit of simple detail like this I'd recommend doing one and then placing it about two feet away on the table and seeing how it looks. Also put them next to some of the enemies they are fighting to see if it makes them more or less distinct.




T64/72/80 Main battletank. All the modern MBT's are based singly, I would have liked to get two on the base but it looked too crammed together. The one on the right pulling a wheelie is going to have some scenery added to make it appear as though it is climbing over a wrecked bus that I'm making from the large truck block IKV8.

Next I'll be finishing off my infantry and support weapons. I still have the aircraft and helicopters to do as well as trucks and various bits of artillery.

No comments:

Post a Comment